[Fedora] Re: Failover setup

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Apr 17 19:58:02 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 14:23 -0400, Ferguson, Michael wrote:
> May I suggest:
> Two different broadband lines each with its individual firewall/router
> Configure your DNS to hand out the two default gateways.
> If one fails the second one is already in the search path. No???

Most systems won't accept multiple default routes.  Better bet:

	Two broadband lines, each with firewall/router
	One Linux box with three NICs acting as the router

Configure the inside network boxes to use the Linux box as the router.

Set up one NIC on the Linux box as the internal network.  Bond the other
two NICs in mode 1 (failover) and connect one to each of the broadband
connections.  The Linux box will fail over from one "public" NIC to the
other if the primary fails.  You still have a single point of failure
(the Linux box), but you have redundant broadband links.

	broadband<--->|eth0         |
	              | (bond)  eth2|<--->internal network
	broadband<--->|eth1         |
	                 Linux box

That should work.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
-      Batteries not included.  Offer not valid in some states.      -
-           Your mileage may vary.  Void where prohibited.           -