Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 20:09:50 UTC 2007

On 4/17/07, Arne Chr. Jorgensen <achrisjo at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,

> Microsoft:
>
> When it crashes, you insert the software CD, and
> somehow you will get
> going again.

I'm curious as to how you somehow get going again while maintaining
the presense of your files. The usual methadology is format and
reinstall.

> Fedora&RedHat:
>
> When it crashes, you insert the software CD, but
> instead of
> the situation above, most of your work is lost !

When what crashes? I have never seen a situation where Fedora as a
whole crashes. At worth, X server crashes, but that's hardly a reason
to reinstall. One only reinstalles if they have been rooted.

> True/False ?
>
> I suggest that the installation WILL have an OPTION
> for installing the
> X-server. It can be on the rescue disk, for instance.

I'm pretty sure you can already reinstall the x-server using the
rescue disk. Wouldn't be much of a rescue disk if you couldn't do
that.

> If anyone has a good tip as how to reinstall X in
> Fedora6,

yum remove "xorg*" && rm -rf /etc/X11/* && yum install "<DE OF YOUR CHOICE""

> I sure would like to know and hopefully rescue my
> disk.
> But frankly, I don't understand why such an option
> isn't
> there in the first place.

Please state what the problem is exactly.

> BTW - it was the Add/Remove software packaged that
> failed, it should only remove some graphical package,
> but surprisingly removed the X-server as well.
> ( did look like it rolled back the depencies.. )

That is no where near being called  a crash. That's called removing
your x server. You data and system are perfectly safe.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud