Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 21:22:25 UTC 2007

On 4/17/07, David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> > The age of the separate audio and video media player is largely
> > passed. So they just double-click on it and don't worry about
> > extensions.
> eg: mpg avi asf etc.

Yup ... the same thing happens if I double click on those files in
Windows or Linux. The default media player opens and plays the video
and audio if the file contains both or the same media player opens and
just plays the audio if that is all there is ... and maybe a
visualization if you have that enabled.

The one funny thing that I do see is many asf files mislabeled as wmv
files. Something in Linux doesn't like when the mime-type found via
magic doesn't match the extension and pops up a warning. From what I
understand, asf and wmv have different mime-types but asf containers
can contain wmv content ... talk about confusing.

/Mike