Curious kmail question

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Apr 18 10:28:16 UTC 2007

Mike Burger wrote:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I've been wondering how to sync kmail on my desktop and laptop(s),
>> and decided in the end to use nfs,
>> exporting my ~/Mail/ directory on the desktop
>> to the laptops.
>>
>> This works fine, except that kmail is unable to get new mail
>> from /var/spool/mail/ as it did on the desktop.
>> [All my email, from various sources, arrives there.]
>>
>> I guess I could export this as well -
>> but is there any other (simple) solution?

> Yup.  Use IMAP instead of NFS.

Doesn't IMAP download the email to the local machine?

I am trying dovecot on the server
and kmail on the laptop with an IMAP account.
Maybe I have set it up wrongly,
but as I said the email is downloaded to the laptop,
so if I use another laptop I cannot see this email.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366