Curious kmail question

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Wed Apr 18 10:30:48 UTC 2007

Today Timothy Murphy did spake thusly:

> Mike Burger wrote:
>
>> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>> I've been wondering how to sync kmail on my desktop and laptop(s),
>>> and decided in the end to use nfs,
>>> exporting my ~/Mail/ directory on the desktop
>>> to the laptops.
>>>
>>> This works fine, except that kmail is unable to get new mail
>>> from /var/spool/mail/ as it did on the desktop.
>>> [All my email, from various sources, arrives there.]
>>>
>>> I guess I could export this as well -
>>> but is there any other (simple) solution?
>
>> Yup.  Use IMAP instead of NFS.
>
> Doesn't IMAP download the email to the local machine?
>
> I am trying dovecot on the server
> and kmail on the laptop with an IMAP account.
> Maybe I have set it up wrongly,
> but as I said the email is downloaded to the laptop,
> so if I use another laptop I cannot see this email.

imap leaves all the data on the server, it gets the email from the server
when you view an email, but it leaves it on the server. If you delete the
message, it'll delete it on the server

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003