Developing for KDE 4, using KDE 3

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Apr 18 20:08:48 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen <dotancohen <at> gmail.com> writes:
> As I plan on moving to KDE 4 later this year when it becomes
> available, the tutorials are relevant for me. Can I install KDE 4 in
> such a way that I can develop using the material in these tutorials,
> yet continue using KDE 3 in my daily work? How would one do this?

Use my packages from the kde-redhat unstable repository, I use these for that
exact purpose myself. (This is why I'm making them in the first place.)

As for why they're at kde-redhat and not in the official repository: We
consider them too unstable to push into stable repositories yet, this is also
why they're in the unstable section at kde-redhat and not in stable or testing.
3.80.3 is a developer snapshot. The next version will be an alpha, and require
a beta Qt (4.3 beta). So I don't plan to submit a KDE 4 for review to the
official package collection before Qt 4.3 lands there. And when that will
happen (during Fedora 8 development, I assume), we'll have to discuss whether
we want my current packaging at all for Fedora 8 or whether we want to make KDE
4 the default and KDE 3 as the compat libraries. I think KDE 4.0 is supposed to
be out before Fedora 8.

        Kevin Kofler