Good Beginner Distros (Was: Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat)

Kelly lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 01:21:20 UTC 2007

On Tuesday, April 17, 2007 9:28 pm Claude Jones wrote:
> On Tue April 17 2007, Kelly wrote:
> > Okay, seriously then, what distro would be a good choice for the average
> > home user?  I'm trying to answer that question myself, while searching
> > for good distros for my younger brothers to run; they both have some
> > computer experience, but only with Windows, and I have a personal thing
> > against Debian-based distros after the time that three different
> > Debian/Ubuntu installs failed in the same way within a week.  Any
> > suggestions?
>
> PCLinuxOS

Mandriva-based distros seem to have an issue with mounting NFS shares
over /home.  Wish I knew why.

> I think you should give Ubuntu a second chance. It is great for this kind of
> situations.
> You should give Kubuntu a chance too!

Was only two versions ago.  Same results from both Kubuntu and Xubuntu, and
it's a flaw built into Debian itself; defoma seems to have major issues
remembering where the fonts are installed...

Plus, IIRC, the *buntu series doesn't have a system for configuring LDAP
clients, and I'm not 100% sure how to work PAM + LDAP manually...

--
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ - Get Firefox!
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/ - Reclaim Your Inbox!