Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Thu Apr 19 01:30:23 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 21:04 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Scott van Looy wrote:

> >> How would you repair an XP installation that continuously reboots
> >> after installing a USB keyboard and SATA drivers? (It even reboots in
> >> safe mode.)
> >
> > I'd see what the error is.
>
> I could not see the error since it constantly reboots. I did check for
> minidumps from the ultimate Microsoft OS (always in automatic reboot
> mode) after installing W2k in the same partition. There was no sign of a
> "BSOD alternative" for that date. I expected to see a minidump for each
> reboot.
>
> > I'd remove all perhipherals and see if it still reboots,
>
> I removed the USB keyboard and went PS2. I could not remove the SATA
> drive since the installation was on that disk.
>
> > I'd disable sata/usb in bios and see if it still reboots
> > and if even that doesn't work I'd do an in place upgrade using the
> > original media
>
> I have no media for the XP version, it was not included. The BIOS
> settings might be wort a try. I was just surprised that it worked
> alright, then it found new drivers for keyboard and SATA and said I
> would need a reboot in order to use the new features. On the reboot it
> kept on going like the pink bunny toy for the battery commercial.
> (Reboot loop)
>
> I'll check the settings in BIOS and see how it responds with changes to
> settings.
>

> >> How would you repair another installation which reboots continuously
> >> after selecting chkdsk to check the disk on reboot?
> >
> > You can get out of the chkdsk by pressing esc, if it's rebooting before
> > the chkdsk is happening,
>
> Thanks for the pointer on escaping the chkdsk then reboot over and over
> again. I still have this installation to test or can get another
> installation where it is easily reproducible to repeat the failure.
>
> > safe mode may work, if not, an in place
> > upgrade, again
>
> I hope the esc, safemode, then being able to locate failure messages
> works. The only thing I see is preventive measures, do not chkdsk the
> systems to prevent warranty and service issues. :-)
>
> Windows is still not my favorite. I prefer Linux. Linux is at least sane.
>
> Jim

Hi, Jim,
	The system manufacturer should be able to supply you with his "OEM"
disk for the system you are working on for XP.  The OEM disk is not
encumbered in anyway, and should enable you to reset the system,
including the "update install" that has been discussed.  I had the same
situation on one of my systems, and the MFR. sent me a new CD by FedEx
and I had it in two days.  Microsoft wouldn't (or couldn't) do anything
to help with the issue.  I spent four days on the telephone with their
"tech support" and finally got the disk and did a clean install to get
up and running.  I lost some stuff, but got it back up.  That was the
last straw for me and Microsoft.  When their tech support cannot help
you get the software you need, and it is their software to begin with,
what good are they?  I've worked tech support for large systems,
utilizing built in subsystems.  If I had ever told a customer to go to
one of the subsystem manufacturers for assistance, I would have had a
much smaller pay check for a much shorter period of time.

Regards,
Les H