help analyzing scp problem on FC5

Peter Horst phorst at speakeasy.net
Thu Apr 19 02:16:23 UTC 2007

Hi - I'm having trouble figuring out how to start diagnosing a
(software) problem on FC5.  Here are the facts:

I'm using WinSCP3 (v. 4.0 beta) to transfer binary files (3-4 megs
generally, mostly .mp3) from a Windows XP machine to my (yum updated)
FC5 machine.  At some point in the transfer process (a different point
each time, but generally after several Mbs have been transferred), I'll
get a "disconnected by peer" message on the Windows machine, and the FC5
machine will get kicked off the network - that is, not only does it
become impossible to reconnect to it via WinSCP, but any existing SSH
sessions will disconnect and cannot be restored.

Unfortunately, this requires a reboot of the FC5 machine, as I am
running it without a monitor/keyboard.

The openssh-server version is 4.3p2 (Release 4.12.fc5).

How would I go about collecting the information needed to figure out
what's going on here?  I have recently replaced virtually all relevant
network cabling/hardware, so I don't think it's that...

Any help greatly appreciated.