help analyzing scp problem on FC5

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Apr 19 02:53:50 UTC 2007

Peter Horst wrote:
> Hi - I'm having trouble figuring out how to start diagnosing a
> (software) problem on FC5.  Here are the facts:
>
> I'm using WinSCP3 (v. 4.0 beta) to transfer binary files (3-4 megs
> generally, mostly .mp3) from a Windows XP machine to my (yum updated)
> FC5 machine.  At some point in the transfer process (a different point
> each time, but generally after several Mbs have been transferred), I'll
> get a "disconnected by peer" message on the Windows machine, and the FC5
> machine will get kicked off the network - that is, not only does it
> become impossible to reconnect to it via WinSCP, but any existing SSH
> sessions will disconnect and cannot be restored.
>
> Unfortunately, this requires a reboot of the FC5 machine, as I am
> running it without a monitor/keyboard.
>
> The openssh-server version is 4.3p2 (Release 4.12.fc5).
>
> How would I go about collecting the information needed to figure out
> what's going on here?  I have recently replaced virtually all relevant
> network cabling/hardware, so I don't think it's that...
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.

Have you looked at the log messages? I would expect to see something
in the logs when this happens. If there is something about disabling
an IRQ, that would be a big clue. An error message from the NIC
driver would also be a good place to look. Transferring a 3-4 meg
file should not be enough to cause problems.

If the logs do not show anything, then you can try opening up a
second connection and run ifconfig every 30 seconds of so and look
for errors...

Mikkel