Curious kmail question

Mail List lists at sapience.com
Thu Apr 19 03:13:26 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 18 April 2007 07:26:19 am Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 April 2007, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > Mike Burger wrote:

  Following many others - the default set up is to always leave mail on the
imap server - in fact I know of no way using kmail - aside from
settings->filters - to auto move mail off the imap server and to a local
folder. Is it possible you accidently pointed it at pop3 server or hand
moved - sorry if its a silly question.

  << opinion follows >>
  I use kmail on imap daily - a lot. I prefer its interface over evolution
which when last I played with it had some memory leaks of gigantic
proportions and I found its interface pedestrian, slow and unattractively
unconfigurable (go gnome).

  kmail speaks gnupg which is nice. However, for me,  it crashes - not
infrequently - there is a known bug if mail arrives and you are deleting or
moving a mail at the same time. For me with several accounts set up this can
happen several times a day - when I'm using a single low volume account I
have not seen it crash. Although there are a few known problems, as far as I
can tell development mostly ended a couple of years back. When it crashes you
have to hand kill all processes or wait a few minutes till they die off
before restarting it.

There were some nice improvements in kde 3.5 timeframe that give you control
over reply and forwarding templates - you can even create a reply template
where your response is at the top - which, aside  from people who only read
the last thread of an email, has value - at least to those who've recalled
and have no desire to keep reading the same thing over and over as it goes
round. I don't think evo or thunderboid let you do that!

  Its major flaw (in addtional to crashes) is its inabilty compose any but
rudimentary html formatted mail and much. much worse is its totally useless
to respond to an HTML formatted email without destroying the formatting -
which makes it next to useless in the business world - sadly the devs are
unresponsive at best.

  At least it mostly renders incoming html mail ok. But don't dare respond to
a table which requres a yes in the approval box, or a formatted list multiple
folks are emailing about ... you will become unpopular very fast!!

  I'm open to suggestions for a good mail client - I sometimes use thunderbird
and evolution. They each have pros and cons - I have not tried the Claws-mail
someone mentioned earlier on the list ... yet.

 I used to use mutt - but its tepid ability to deal with multiple accounts
finally drove me nuts!

 << end opinion >>

good luck.