Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 06:53:13 UTC 2007

On 19/04/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 08:07 +0100, Scott van Looy wrote:
> > For other issues:
> >
> > 1) reboot
>
> Rarely needed on Linux, even for major configuration changes.  Needed
> all the time with Windows, repeatedly, and a major waste of time.  A few
> seconds of reconfiguring something on Linux becomes minutes on Windows.

Last semester in my physics course, right in the middle of a lecture,
the professor's computer informed us that we had 4 minutes until
reboot, due to updates that had automatically been downloaded and
installed. He had to stop the lecture, reboot, and then find his
place. During this time I took the opportunity to mention how
rediculous that is, without mentioning that I don't use windows, and I
was told that I'm stupid for not updating my own computer regularly.
Apparently, reboots in the middle of work are common parts of the
windows workflow. Worse, people accept that because it's the only way
to be 'safe'.

Dotan Cohen

http://technology-sleuth.com/long_answer/what_is_a_firewall.html
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/copyleft.html