Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Apr 19 07:04:51 UTC 2007

Gérard Milmeister wrote:
>>> Meta-data (using extended file attributes) would be faster, since it
>>> wouldn't involve opening the file and trying to guess the file type from
>>> the file content. If you have selinux enabled, each file access involves
>>> accessing extended file attributes.

You still have to read that extra information, a read is a read.  And
now you're dependent on the filing system.  File data should be part of
the file itself.

Mikkel L. Ellertson:
> One way would be to have a utility that would go through the files,
> determine the mime-type, and set the attributes. Run it as a nightly
> cron job to index new files.

Ugh, rather than store data in a sane way in the first place, do more
work on top of it, repeatedly.  I'm reminded of mail programs that
continually re-index their mail folders, rather than update their
indexes when things get changed, leaving them alone in the meantime.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.