Curious kmail question

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 19 10:19:22 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 18 April 2007, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Scott van Looy wrote:
> > imap leaves all the data on the server, it gets the email from the server
> > when you view an email, but it leaves it on the server. If you delete the
> > message, it'll delete it on the server
>
> That's what I'd like, but it's not what happens in my case,
> probably because I have done something wrong in setting up kmail + IMAP.
>
> Assuming you have done this, could you tell me
> exactly how you set up kmail and IMAP, or kmail + IMAP.

Tim, are you absolutely certain that you did not select 'dimap' when you set
up your account?  There's no magic wand needed, so that's the only
explanation I can think of.  Here's what I'd do.

Turn off all checking for the existing account.  Create a new account, being
careful to simply select 'imap' not 'dimap'.  Enter your details as usual.
Enable checking for the new account.

Hopefully you'll realise that the setup screens are not what you remember
seeing before, and the new one will simply work.

HTH

Anne