Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 19 11:18:05 UTC 2007

On Thursday 19 April 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 19/04/07, Scott van Looy <scott at ethosuk.org.uk> wrote:
> > Today Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:
> > > Last semester in my physics course, right in the middle of a lecture,
> > > the professor's computer informed us that we had 4 minutes until
> > > reboot, due to updates that had automatically been downloaded and
> > > installed. He had to stop the lecture, reboot, and then find his
> > > place. During this time I took the opportunity to mention how
> > > rediculous that is, without mentioning that I don't use windows, and I
> > > was told that I'm stupid for not updating my own computer regularly.
> > > Apparently, reboots in the middle of work are common parts of the
> > > windows workflow. Worse, people accept that because it's the only way
> > > to be 'safe'.
> >
> > I've never seen Windows do that. What I have seen it do is say "Windows
> > will be restarted in 4 minutes [cancel]"
> >
> > Cancelling lets you do it later. Being smug about linux lets you earn
> > lower marks ;)
>
> No cancel button. I even have a screenshot of it doing that to _me_
> once: about a week before I moved over to Linux for good. I'll gladly
> send you the screenshot. It's in Hebrew, but you can clearly see there
> is no Cancel button. And I find it hard to believe that Windows in
> English has a cancel button when Hebrew does not.

Dotan, my laptop dual-boots with XP.  I have that set up to notify me of
updates, but not install.  I do recall seeing, however, that you can elect to
download updates automatically and install later, though I've never tried
that, since I like to read the description of the updates before letting them
loose :-)

Anne