Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 12:40:42 UTC 2007

Tomas Larsson wrote:

> My experience:
[...]
> The rumour that XP is unreliable etc, is just a rumour.
> I have never been infected with a viruus on my XP-boxes, however I have been
> rooted once on my FC-boxes.
> Obviously it was my own fault, forgot about an old phpBB installation on a
> public webserver.

You must be very young, very firewalled, or very lucky - or your
machines all came pre-installed with some service pack level.  There was
a point when if you installed a fresh XP or win2k the odds were that you
would be hit by a virus before you cold get the service packs installed
over the internet.

> The so-called problem with Windows is, I think, that there are so much crap
> software out there, that people install without any thoughts at all, plus
> the fact that people use quite a lot of cracked sw, with no clue what's in
> it.

That's only a small part of the problem.  There have been dozens of
possible exploits within IE, so all it takes is visiting a site that
triggers it.  Likewise, many of the outlook exploits did not require
that you open the message.

> I use XP because it gets the work done, with a minimum of work, I dont want
> to spend days trying to figure out on how to read from a CD or weeks to
> figure out why my network-card does not work.

That has to more to do with buying a machine with a preinstalled OS than
which OS it is.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com