Really, REALLY slow computer

alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Apr 19 16:03:29 UTC 2007

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, zephod at cfl.rr.com wrote:

> So,
> new job and a shiny new HP Duo Core computer with 2G RAM and twin 250G
> ATA drives, loaded with Windows XP of course. The 1st thing I do is to
> load FC6 on the 2nd of the disks. After 2 days (!) I have everything
> loaded and updated but the system is running really, and I mean REALLY
> slow. It takes about 15 mins to boot up and 5 to log in. Both processors
> are heavily loaded but yet top shows nothing out of the ordinary, memory
> usage is abot 15%.

My daughter's machine (which it about 100 mile away, unfortunatly) is
having the same problem.  It is a 32-bit AMD system.  I will try and get
logs dumped from her machine this weekend.

Are you using the latest kernel?  (I am not certai what the version number
is on the latest FC6 kernel is.)

--
"Invoking the supernatural can explain anything, and hence explains nothing."
                   - University of Utah bioengineering professor Gregory Clark