X-server reinstall

Arne Chr. Jorgensen achrisjo at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 23:07:03 UTC 2007

( Was: Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat )

Ed Greshko wrote:

> I just wonder if anyone has noticed that the OP has not said anything
> since first posting.  Ever get the feeling you've been baited?

;) - well... if I had been interested in Microsoft products, I wouldn't have postet
on this list.

The only thing I got so far is a line from Arthur Pemberton:

> yum remove "xorg*" && rm -rf /etc/X11/* && yum install "<DE OF YOUR
> CHOICE""

Now, what is "DE OF YOUR CHOICE" ?  ( I am not familiar with yum, and what it is capable of )

                                -----------------

A little background on my earlier post:

Fedora is somewhat new to me, and it keeps changing all the time. It is difficult keep track. Without the X-server, an ACPI message comes up, screwing up my terminal.
( The cpu is an AMD Athlon, which doesn't have the device the kernel seems to be
looking for. And I think the problem came after some FC6 updates ) Ever tried to do
anything sensible when each second pair of characters you enter, get broken up by
error messages ?  I simply didn't know about the problem, as the Xserver did cover it up.

"X" has been a problem over the years, especially with RH, as it lacks the install
option.  And this was the IMPORTANT subject I wanted to pass on as an important
feature that would make life so much easier. I would like to post this request and
suggestion to the maintainers of the installation setup, but I am having difficulties
with even reading my email, so.. I wouldn't know where to ship the note.

                                ---------------------
Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> That is no where near being called  a crash. That's called removing
> your x server. You data and system are perfectly safe.

That is correct, but I have had some bad luck before, and I don't want to end
up in such disasters ever again. Fedora does base everything on the graphical environment, and then it is even more IMPORTANT to have a user friendly -reinstall X option.

Personally I would like it to include options as to initial startup, runlevels, etc.
Not every platform have a workable X-server and other circumstances. The problem now,
is that it is impossible to keep track of the many changes, the growing number of
applications. Not every host has a connection to the internet. So you do depend on
the install CDs and rescue disks.  If you should happen to work on some X-application,
or perform testing ?  Well, imo this situation should be addressed, and it would
be beneficial for everybody.

//ARNE

( I may have missed some replies to my first email, if so, I am sorry )