[FC6 x86_64] X does not start

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Fri Apr 20 17:26:55 UTC 2007

Folks,

  Sometimes X will not start on a x86_64 nvidia geforce 6600 machine.
The system boots to the prompt.  So what I do then is this, as root:

  cd /tmp
  rm -fr .*
  rm -fr *
  kdm

  Then X starts, as well as KDE.  Some fonts are missing (in emacs), but
at least the system works.

  Then I reboot and it generally starts OK the next time.

  But from time to time, it boots back to the prompt.  It's
annoying on the part of a mature system but then I have all my audio
tools in there.

  If I was to put the above instructions, except from kdm) in the
normal boot sequence, where would be the best place amongst the boot
scripts ?

Al