couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (4000400)

Anthony J Placilla anthony_placilla at SUTH.COM
Fri Apr 20 18:50:01 UTC 2007

Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
> On 04/20/2007 07:33 PM, Anthony J Placilla wrote:
>> Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
>>> Does anybody know what this means:
>>> EXT3-fs: hdc1: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features
>>> (4000400).
>>>
>>> I googled but only found questions.
>>>
>>> I can read the disk (both fdisk and dd are happy enough), but I don't
>>> want to overwrite anything if I don't have to.
>>>
>>> # uname -r
>>> 2.6.20-1.2944.fc6
>>>
>> Well the first question that comes to mind is what type of media is it?
>>
>> Detailed info please
>>

> Oops.  Harddisk.  The system is a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop with two
> internal drives.  The second drive (hdc) is the original one and so used
> to work fine.  There is a single partition with a file system that until
> recently (I don't know when I actually tried last) worked well.

have you run fsck at the disk?

what does fdisk -l /dev/hdc say?

what does e2label /dev/hdc1 say?

and how is it being mounted? from fstab? What are the relevant lines?

--
Tony Placilla, RHCT, GSEC
anthony_placilla at suth.com

GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/C78F8B64              http://pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint = A8D5 7AFF CE88 4179 C792  D9A9 F197 2A15 C78F 8B64