Mplayer does not write true index of DVD ripped avi.

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at panet.co.yu
Sun Apr 22 10:40:08 UTC 2007

On Saturday 21 April 2007 11:39, Strong wrote:
> U have DVD.iso file and mount it on /mnt/dvdrom2
> Then I try to rip with this command:
>
> $ mencoder -dvd-device /mnt/dvdrom2 dvd://1 -oac copy -ovc copy
> -o /pub/1.avi
>
> But it does not write index to output avi. Why? I tried -idx option,
> -forceidx - but it didn't help.
>
> Here is its output:
[snip]

I routinely have such a problem, and am not sure about the proper solution.
But to my understanding, "-ovc copy" does what it is supposed to do --- it
copies the data into the avi container. It does not modify it, so I guess the
-idx and -forceidx options are ignored. Furthermore, if you wish to crop the
black bands above and below a movie, you ussualy can use
"-vf crop=720:480:18:10" (or similar), but in the case of copying that is also
ignored.

A possible workaround is to make a copy as you did, and then afterwards
reencode the file using "-ovc lavc" (and suitable options) into DivX4. The
-idx option will work with reencoding, and you will be able to seek through
the resulting file, as usual. I do this on a daily basis.

But simple copying just copies the data, no modification possible (afaik). And
yes, you *are* able to seek when playing the original media, but I assume
that is because the seeking method is different than the one in the avi file
(no index needed etc...).

Maybe the more appropriate place to ask is some mplayer e-mail list. :-)

HTH, :-)
Marko

Marko Vojinovic
Institute of Physics