Support for mono and mono apps within FC5

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sun Apr 22 12:06:26 UTC 2007

Hi,

With the release of F7 imminent, my thoughts as the packager of many FE
mono apps turn to the issue of support for FC5.

My usual stance is that once a version is retired (into what is/was the
legacy project), I stop supporting it. With mono I'm prepared to make an
exception as long as one thing happens - that the current version of
Mono in FC5 is updated to be mono-1.1.17 (as is used in FC6 currently).

Why should I make things depend on this?

Simple. Mono has two branches - one has everything in /usr/lib
irrespective of if you're on 32 or 64 bit, the other has everything
placed correctly depending on the processor. This change was made quite
a while back, but never put into FC5. It makes support a pain as within
the spec file, extra bits need to be added to ensure the build works
under FC5 and FC6+

Comments would be welcome on this.

TTFN

Paul