how to get sound on gateway mx7120 running FC6?

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 22:45:49 UTC 2007

On 4/22/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-04-22 at 09:14 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   i've just tossed stock FC6 onto a gateway mx7120 laptop and i'm
> > unable to get sound.  both during firstboot and running
> > "system-config-soundcard", the following audio devices are detected:
> >
> > - IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller
> > - ATI SB400 - AC'97 Modem Controller
> >
> > but nothing i do can get the test sound to play.  am i missing
> > something painfully obvious?  thanks.
> >
> > rday
> >
> You seem like and old timer and should have been through this before.
> Try running alsamixer and be sure all the channels are at a proper
> height. Also channels that are to work should not be muted (that is have
> an MM at the bottom of the column. Change that to 00 by hitting the
> letter m.
> -

I had problem with sound a while back. In system-config-soundcard
click "System" and  "Reload audio drivers" before trying sound test.
If you get sound then you need to reload your sound driver after
booting. My fix was to modify /etc/rc.local as follows:

$ cat /etc/rc.local
#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
modprobe -r snd-sbawe
modprobe snd-sbawe

Replace "snd-sbawe" with the appropriate module for your system.