how to get sound on gateway mx7120 running FC6?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 23 12:49:11 UTC 2007

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007, Kam Leo wrote:

> On 4/22/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-04-22 at 09:14 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >   i've just tossed stock FC6 onto a gateway mx7120 laptop and i'm
> > > unable to get sound.  both during firstboot and running
> > > "system-config-soundcard", the following audio devices are detected:
> > >
> > > - IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller
> > > - ATI SB400 - AC'97 Modem Controller
> > >
> > > but nothing i do can get the test sound to play.  am i missing
> > > something painfully obvious?  thanks.
> > >
> > > rday
> > >
> > You seem like and old timer and should have been through this before.
> > Try running alsamixer and be sure all the channels are at a proper
> > height. Also channels that are to work should not be muted (that is have
> > an MM at the bottom of the column. Change that to 00 by hitting the
> > letter m.

i went through all that and nothing.  however ...

> I had problem with sound a while back. In system-config-soundcard
> click "System" and  "Reload audio drivers" before trying sound test.
> If you get sound then you need to reload your sound driver after
> booting. My fix was to modify /etc/rc.local as follows:
>
> $ cat /etc/rc.local
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
> # You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
> # want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.
>
> touch /var/lock/subsys/local
> modprobe -r snd-sbawe
> modprobe snd-sbawe
>
> Replace "snd-sbawe" with the appropriate module for your system.

after a fresh install, suddenly, i have sound.  go figure.  i did a
*number* of test installs (for other reasons) on this new system, and
never got sound to work once.  suddenly, during this install, sound
works nicely.  weird.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA