Keyboardmap ?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Apr 24 06:11:30 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 01:03 -0400, linuxmaillists at charter.net wrote:
> The X server does keyboard mapping of keys and you can use X
> to map keys.  If you have an international keyboard set up then X
> ships with compose functionality which for the subset of symbols it
> does is usually easier to learn.
>
> Basically hit alt (left alt to US folks) and shift together, then let
> go of both, now type two keys in sequence that compose the resulting
> symbol.
>
> Where is the file that this would be done in so this would work?

You can use the keyboard preferences GUI, and play with the layout
options to set which key is the compose key.  Alt + Shift never worked
for me, so I used the (otherwise) useless right-Windows key.  My
preferences seem to be set, by it, in this file:

/home/tim/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd/%gconf.xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gconf>
        <entry name="options" mtime="1173340595" type="list" ltype="string">
                <li type="string">
                        <stringvalue>Compose key        compose:rwin</stringvalue>
                </li>
        </entry>
</gconf>

 important to the thread.)