BIND Woes

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Apr 24 16:56:04 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 21:05 -0700, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
> Thanks Rick,
>
> What is driving me nuts is that I have a RHEL 4 ES box running right
> beside the FC 6 box.
>
> The RHEL is functioning quite well, as a point of fact it is the
> server that this mail application is running on.
>
> What the difference in RHEL 4 and FC 6 that a nameserver works
> perfectly on one and not at all on the other with the same bind setup
> is frustrating beyond belief.

Have you examined the /var/log/messages file to see what it says?  Bind
can be pretty chatty when it finds stuff it doesn't like.  You can also
try running it via "named -d 9" to raise the logging level or even
"named -d 9 -g" to raise logging level, run it in the foreground (not
as a daemon) and log everything to the console.

Another thing to check is to ensure that port 53 under both TCP and UDP
on the FC6 machine allow connections in iptables (port 53 is DNS).

> Thank God I have never run into this with the Cisco stuff I normally
> work with.

It's normally not that hard.  As I said, check the logs for error
messages and check iptables to make sure port 53 is open.  If both the
RHEL and FC box are on the same network, fire up named on the FC box and
run "nmap" against it from the RHEL box.  Verify that port 53 is open.

> I am just so fed up with Microsoft at work and with their support
> attitude that making FC 6 work has become something of a crusade with
> me.

Amen!

> Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 18:49 -0700, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
> >
> > > OK,
> > >  I am trying to set up a second server which is going to have Master
> > > Zones and Slave Zones so must be a full nameserver not a caching-nameserver.
> > >
> > > I did a complete virgin install of FC 6 and then did a
> > > yum install bind*
> > >
> > > I then went into /etc looking for named.conf,  all I could find was a
> > > caching-nameserver.conf.
> > >
> > > The caching-nameserver.conf contained a comment line that said to use
> > > system-config-bind to create a named.conf.
> > >
> > > A quick whatis system-config shows that there is no system-config-bind
> > > command in FC 6.
> > >

> > yum install system-config-bind
> >

> > > Being a rookie enough to have never seen a full nameserver named.conf I
> > > have no idea how to proceed from here.
> > >
> > > Help!!!
> > >
> > > Mike Dwiggins
> > >

> > > _________________________
> > > This email was transferred using an Office free edition
> > > of AXIGEN Mail Server.

> > - Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
> > - VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
> > -         We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?       -
> >

> plain text document attachment (AXIGEN Mail Server.txt)
> This email was transferred using an Office free edition
> of AXIGEN Mail Server.
>
> --
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
-     Warning:  You are logged into reality as the root user...      -