Help - I've completely borked up my linux

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Apr 24 23:46:30 UTC 2007

Knute Johnson writes:

> I was playing around trying to install xubuntu on a usb doover and
> somehow I completely borked up my FC6 installation.  I have a
> computer with two hard drives.  On the first drive is Win XP and the
> second had (and I think still does but borked) FC6.  I went to boot
> it after I got done playing with the xubuntu and FC6 wouldn't start.
> It starts to come up but about the time it goes looking for the
> drives it panics saying it can't find /dev/root.  I booted the FC6
> Rescue CD and it says there are no Linux partitions.  I ran fdisk and
> looked at /dev/sdb and it says there are two partitions, sdb1 and 2
> and 1 is marked bootable.
>
> Am I completely hosed or do you think I can recover from here?

If the rescue CD cannot find your Linux partitions, you're pretty much
borked.  Someone who knows what they're doing might be able to salvage a few
things, but there's no cookie-cutter "follow-the-numbers" recipe for
recovering from that kind of borkage.  You have to examine things in
details, and basically take it one step at a time.