Setting up multiple simultaneous sessions

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Apr 25 02:55:57 UTC 2007

Simon Slater wrote:
> Thanks Scott.
> 	So if I were to go the KDE option, default gui begins at (ctr+alt)F7
> access key position with the next session accessed with F8.  For
> additional sessions does access continue to F12?  Can I set it to begin
> at F1?
>
> Simon

If you edit /etc/inittab, you can change the number of VT's that are
set up for CLI logins. Look for the section:

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

Personally, I would leave VT1 as a CLI login, but change the rest so
that they do not run in run level 5. Something like:

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:234:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:234:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:234:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:234:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:234:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

This will put the first GUI login on VT2, the second on VT3, and so
forth when stating at run level 5. (Ctrl-Alt-F2 through F12.) Please
keep in mind that this is only changing the number of CLI logins in
run level 5, and that the changes in xdm, kdm, or gdm are what
control the GUI logins. But because X normally grabs the first free
VT, this will free up all except VT1.It can be handy to have one CLI
login available at run level 5, especially if you need to change
video modes as part of suspend/resume, or if you need to fix X.

Mikkel