core 6 issues

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 25 03:16:37 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 14:41 -0700, JJ JJ wrote:
> I'd like to mention that I have 2 copies of Windows on this rig, and
> they both shutdown just fine, so I don't think I have to look in the
> bios settings.

I wouldn't say that.  There's different ways of powering down a system,
and you may have to tweak the BIOS to suit both OSs.  Been there, done
that, myself, with a couple of dual boot PCs.

If you get desperate, you can reboot instead of try to shut down, and
use GRUB to power off the PC.  Stick the following below your kernel
choices lines in the grub.conf file:

title switch off
        halt

Depending on your motherboard, you might have to try:

title switch off
        halt --no-apm

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.