Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Ingemar Nilsson init at pdc.kth.se
Wed Apr 25 11:08:27 UTC 2007

Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> writes:

> And you are surprised?  AV must be installed before connection to the
> Internet.  And don't tell me it can't be...

It doesn't have to be. The firewall has to be enabled though. That Windows
XP had a firewall from the start is unknown to many, since they think it
came with SP2. SP2 turned it on, and certainly improved it, but it was
there before too, doing its job if you knew it was there and turned it on
manually.

That Windows XP contained a firewall but had it turned off in its default
state is incomprehensible to me. That it was off by default is certainly to
a great extent responsible for the worm infestations we have seen,
especially before SP2, but also after, for those that did not update their
systems.

It seems undescribably stupid to ship a product with a built in firewall,
but keeping the firewall turned off in its default configuration.

Regards
Ingemar