ssh & sftp terminal timeout

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Apr 25 11:32:19 UTC 2007

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Tony Crouch wrote:

> Hi All,
> I noticed of late my ssh & sftp connections have been timing out very
> quickly. If I leave my machine (or do not use the ssh connection) for
> even 10 minutes the connection will timeout and I will have to close the
> window and re-connect.
>
> I am unsure whether the problem exists with my local machine or my
> university's servers (the machines to which I am remotely logging onto).
>
> Was wondering if anyone could possibly shed some light on this or
> provide some sort of explanation?

Not an explanation, but maybe a workaround.  How about setting the
keepalive interval?

 	ssh -o ServerAliveInterval=120 my.ssh.host

will send keepalive signals every 120 seconds if the connection is idle.
You can also include the option in ~/.ssh/config.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu