Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Ingemar Nilsson init at pdc.kth.se
Wed Apr 25 17:48:29 UTC 2007

"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com> writes:

> Aero is no cousin of Beryl/Compiz. They were independantly designed.
> They are not even similar.

For clueless (l)users, Beryl/Compiz are similar to Aero because both enable
3D effects on the desktop. :)

> In the experience that I have with bringing new people into Linux, I
> haven't had anyone mention eye-candy as a reason for switching OS. I
> may be dealing with a technical crowd, but it isn't mentioned.

There seems to have been a recent surge though (from recent posts in
various forums), with Windows users that have seen some videos on Youtube
and decided to try Linux only because of Beryl. Whether that is good or bad
is debatable, as many of them are sorely disappointed when they discover
that they cannot run their usual Windows programs out of the box.

Regards
Ingemar