->fc6: Pkg Installation - "may take several minutes" - 36 hours later!!

sean seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 23:02:11 UTC 2007

Kam Leo wrote:
> On 4/25/07, sean <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Alan Cox wrote:

>> > 128MB is pushing it for an update but it will find and use your swap so
>> > it ought to be ok. 36 hours on I'd have expected the system to have
>> > finished (and if not to be thrashing the disk like a lunatic trying to
>> > fit stuff in swap)
>> >
>> > How much swap does the box have ?
>> >

>> There's a 1 gig swap partition. It's an old Gateway the I
>> use without X, just cli, as an internal firewall, dhcp
>> server, etc. I'd like to upgrade to keep all the little
>> housekeeping settings I've made over the years.
>>
>> I'm also surprised it's not disk trashing - that's what I
>> expected. 36 hours might not be too long to actually install
>>   the packages.
>>
>> But it never even started - no disk access light once the
>> Package Installation screen came up.
>>
>> It there any way to check if anaconda actually finds the
>> swap partition ( Which shouldn't be hard - only one disk,
>> swap is hda2 )?
>
> What shows on the other console (ctrl-alt-F2)?

Never knew you could access another console on install.

The install kernel did find a swap partition with 360 megs.
70megs were cached, ~ 300 megs free.

top showed anaconda cpu at 99.4% and .exe ( ?? ) at 0.5%.

So maybe anaconda really doing something - hard to imagine
if it's not accessing the disk but maybe another night could
  show progress.

What is anaconda supposed to be doing at this stage?

sean