whats with this love of kaffiene?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 26 02:58:48 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 25 April 2007, Ric Moore wrote:
>On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 15:05 +0930, Tim wrote:
>> On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 00:09 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> > My working mplayer setup has been destroyed now for the THIRD time
>> > since I installed FC6 on this box.
>>
>> I haven't encountered that, with one exception of a daffy rebuild of one
>> the libraries that mplayer made use of.
>>
>> I don't make much use of KDE, and I think it's likely that's where
>> you're grief is coming from, particularly as you mention kaffiene.  I
>> don't have it installed, and perhaps one of its updates snaffled up the
>> default player settings.
>
>I've had to scour the underbelly of Hell to get Xine and Kaffiene to
>work, then an update blows everything up. At first Livna had the good
>files, then they seemingly didn't. Then ATrpms had the good files and
>then they seemingly didn't. Moved to Freshrpms, etc. I stay confused
>with that error that keeps popping up announcing that it was a compiler
>problem.
>
>So, like Elmer Fudd, I'm trouble-shooting hwunting a wabbit with a
>shotgun trying to get it all working again 100%. I agree with Gene,
>leave it alone once the maintainer has a 100% working package. If it
>absolutely must be upgraded, then have the depends set to drag in every
>working and tested package affected as a group. We'll never make it to
>the desktops out there in this fashion.

Just about all I can say is Amen Brother!

But lets go a little farther and make sure the message from us users is
spelled out so all understand our meaning:

The nextgen package manager we get with F7, maybe something like smart, had
damned well better have provisions to lock a given app at whatever state its
in, disallowing the update of any package that pulls this locked package in
as part of its dependencies.  If its a security thing that we really should
fix, then tell us in big red letters in a new window laid over the top of the
managers screen and let US make the decision to unlock the app and allow the
update, or not, but give us enough info to make that call intelligently.  And
that info INCLUDES any effects on proprietary stuff whether you, as guardian
of the FSF, and your legal people believe in it or not.  And if WE don't
allow it because we spent 2 weeks getting it so we could play
cbs/cnn/nbc/abc/fox news clips and don't want to start this dance all over
from scratch at the instant, then work around it without trashing the system
until such time as we can be assured the update isn't going to kill the main
reason for having the app in the first place.

We DON'T need priorities that no one can figure out how to use because the
docs are non-existant, and which can apparently be over-rode anyway, we need
an absolute lock, by main package name, like mplayer, openoffice, cups,
kernel, etc so that WE are in control at least for the duration of a given
install.

Now, I'm well aware that with an attitude like that, I will be cautioned not
to let the doorknob hit me in the ass leaving.  But if Ric and I don't say it
straight out, I'd like to know just how many others are too scared to chime
in with probably less obnoxious ways of agreeing with us.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)