logger for cron job

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Apr 26 04:33:35 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 20:26 +0000, Thufir wrote:
> Yes.  I don't understand the command which is specified at
> <http://code.google.com/p/feed-on-feeds/>, though, in that why does it
> have some strange URL in there?

There is no command on that specific address.  You'll have to be more
specific about what you're meaning.  (Documentation, a script you
downloaded from there, what you quoted below, etc.)

> Is that an example which I must customize, or is that just how
> feeds-on-feeds work?  I've never used munitillo.com, but wouldn't know
> what to replace it with.

I can't tell from what you've quoted below whether it's for any of the
following purposes:

      * An example of a feed source address, to be replaced with the
        feed you actually want to use.
      * An address that the script uses to check for updates to itself.

I've had a brief read through of the feedonfeeds.com site, and it's not
brilliantly illustrative.

> I'm thinking that the cronjob is setup with certain assumptions which
> don't work on my system, fedora core six.

That could be taken in a few ways.  The paths to commands, and:

You're doing it two ways, looking at what's below.  Perhaps you're
provided with solutions for doing it either way (cron tab, or an cron
hourly script), for you to use whichever *ONE* suits your system.

> [thufir at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/crontab
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
> MAILTO=root
> HOME=/
>
> # run-parts
> 01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
> 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
> 22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
> 42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly
>

> 26 * * * * /usr/local/bin/GET http://minutillo.com/steve/fof/update-quiet.php |logger -t NTP

That's the cron tab, which looks at the various cron. directories, to
run what's in them at those times.  And, you've got an entry to get
something from that address in it, as well.

On my system, I've already got a "GET" in /bin.  Perhaps that script
installs its own version of it in /usr/local/bin, perhaps it presumes
that yours is there.  If it doesn't use a special custom version of GET,
you'd probably want to rewrite that to suit where yours is.

> [thufir at localhost ~]$ ll /etc/cron.hourly/
> total 20
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  67 Apr 25 08:09 feeds-on-feeds
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 118 Aug 29  2006 inn-cron-nntpsend
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 118 Aug 29  2006 inn-cron-rnews

> [thufir at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/cron.hourly/feeds-on-feeds
> /usr/local/bin/GET http://minutillo.com/steve/fof/update-quiet.php

Which is apparently the same as the crontab command, without the logger
addition.  I presume that's your addition to check it's working.  If so,
you'd run your script one way or the other, but not both ways.

> [thufir at localhost ~]$ ll /usr/local/bin/
> total 120
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 44364 Apr 13 12:48 paperboy
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  3227 Apr 13 12:48 paperboy-config
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 56180 Apr 13 12:48 paperboyd

> [thufir at localhost ~]$ ll /var/www/html/feedonfeeds-0.1.9/update-quiet.php
> -rw-r--r-- 1 thufir thufir 566 Dec  5  2004 /var/www/html/feedonfeeds-0.1.9/update-quiet.php

> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:01:01 +0100
> From: Cron Daemon <root at localhost.localdomain>
> To: root at localhost.localdomain
> Subject: Cron <root at localhost> run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
>
>     [ The following text is in the "UTF-8" character set. ]
>     [ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-1" character set.  ]
>     [ Some characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]

You'd want to change your display to suit that, or change the encoding
to suit.  If it's just about the report, it probably doesn't matter too
much.  But if it's about how the feeds are handled, it will matter more.
Particularly if a URI contains a wrongly encoded character.

> /etc/cron.hourly/feeds-on-feeds:
>
> /etc/cron.hourly/feeds-on-feeds: line 1: /usr/local/bin/GET: No such file or
> directory

Re-write the script to use your GET, or put a GET where it's looking for
one.

> I think that I actually want to run
> /var/www/html/feedonfeeds-0.1.9/update-quiet.php

 From what I can gather, that looks like you can use the script on your
local server (where you read the collected feeds), to do an update on
demand, rather than wait for the next scheduled thing, just by going to
that page through your web browser.  The cron job uses the same script,
you just don't see what it's doing as it's doing it.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.