org.gnome.SettingsDaemon timed out

James McManus jmpmcmanus at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 27 00:13:15 UTC 2007

I recently added a netgear (WGR614v6) router to my modem. I configure my
network to automatically obtain an IP address from this network. When I
reactivated my ethernet every thing appeared to work, including my
access to my website. However, when I try to login to any accounts on my
server, it takes a long time, and I get the following error message:

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.
Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
correctly.
The last error message was:
Activation of org.gnome.SettingsDaemon timed out
GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

I found a discussion on this error, in relation to ubuntu at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/control-center/+bug/61381

Their solution involved editing /etc/network/interfaces adding the
command "auto lo". However, I am using fc6 which does not have an
/etc/network/interfaces file. Much of the other information in this
discussion does not relate to the problem I am having on my FC6 machine.
However the description of the error is exactly the same, down to the
white box in the upper left corner.

Has anybody run into this error using FC6? If so do you have a solution?

Thanks
Jim