->fc6: Pkg Installation - "may take several minutes" - 36 hours later!!

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Fri Apr 27 00:22:39 UTC 2007

> Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:58:27 -0500
> From: Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>
> On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 23:01 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> > > Yes, next time do a clean install! Your system has too little memory
> > > installed. You need at least 256 MB, preferably more.
> >
> > There are many desktops out there that run fine with 128M, XFCe or fvwm for
> > instance. XFCE is even part of extras. So an installer that requires more ram
> > that the system it is installing.... go figure.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> It is silly but that is the way it is. It reminds me that I just saw
> "Showstoppers", the book about the development of WinNT. An argument
> arose between Bill Gates and David Carver (the developer). Gates said it
> should run in 1M of ram ; Carver held out for 8M.
> Now we have Vista that takes 1G. That's progress?
> --

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/solutions/en/winvista?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

This link, from a USA Dell website, is one of my favorites.  If you
scroll down to the bottom of the page, there are recommendations for how
you can best use Windows Vista on various levels of hardware.  If you
have 512MB of RAM, the computer is "Great for Booting the Operating
System without running applications or games."

Not run applications.  Hmmm, isn't that what you always wanted to do
with your computer?  I think its a hoot.  If I didn't, I think I'd cry.
It seems like such a waste of beautiful hardware.

Meanwhile FC6 still runs on my ten year old 400MHz desktop with 256MB of
RAM, and it just purrs along on my three-year old laptop.

Erik