core 6 issues

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Apr 27 20:51:14 UTC 2007

On Friday 27 April 2007 22:31, JJ JJ wrote:
> Hey Aaron,
> sorry I saw your message only now. I tried Nigel's tips, and still no go.
> So, at the grub menu I have to digit this line:
> dmesg |grep ACPI
> am I correct?
> I also noticed that at the end, I get this message:
> acpi: pci interrupt for device 0000:02:03.0 disabled
> My guess is that if I enable it, this P.O.S. should work, but  how do I
> enable it?
> Thanks again!!
> JJ

You run dmesg from the CLI (Konsole/Terminal) once you have booted up. if you
just run dmesg from the CLI you get all of the bootup stuff displayed in the
terminal. Running dmesg | grep acpi limits the output to what just applies to
acpi.

This is a horrible problem, and seems to appear with more recent kernels, and
just on some hardware. My original kernel that was installed from the cdroms
for FC5 still shutsdown ok, but kernels 2.6.17. and later have this shutdown
problem, and in my case on FC5 acpi=force added to the kernel lines
in /boot/grub/grub.conf seems to fix the problem.

Hope we can fix this for you, as it's an inconvenience having to push the
button to shutdown.

Nigel.