Can no longer use my USB mouse with my laptop

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Apr 28 04:16:58 UTC 2007

Kevin J. Cummings writes:

>> Yep and this is a violation of Fedora trademarks if they are calling the
>> OEM installation Fedora. Please let me know with more details if that's
>> the case.
>
> What's the difference between the OEM packaging this kernel-suspend2 vs
> me installing it myself from a 3rd party repository.  Its built from the
> official FC6 source files (isn't it?).

Of course not.  Nobody would take "official FC6 source files", unmodified,
and call them something else, just for the hell of it.

> To tell you the truth, I have no idea how heavily modified this
> particular kernel is, but my vendor tells me its necessary to run this
> kernel in order to support the hardware on my laptop.

In that case, if you're having a problem with kernel support for your
hardware, why are you asking about that here?  You should be taking all
these issues to your vendor.  It's their kernel.  Not Fedora's kernel.

> Now, if you are telling me that the error message I'm seeing is not
> present in the official 2.6.20 kernels that Fedora ships in either its

I used to see a bunch of error messages when booting one of my servers,
about a year ago.  So much, in fact, that the Fedora kernel wouldn't even
boot.

I'm fairly sure that all those error messages are still in the current
kernel.  Except that the kernel bug that triggered them has been fixed now.
And I don't see those error messages, any more.

Just because the literal text of a bunch of error messages is the same as in
the stock Fedora kernel, that means zilch, in your case.  There may very
well be completely different reasons why they would end up being reported in
your kernel, and in Fedora's kernel.  Trying to follow up on the reason why
those error messages might be reported by Fedora is likely to do nothing but
set you off on a wild goose chase.

> 2933 or 2944 kernels, then that's useful information to me that I can
> take back to my vendor.

The only useful information anyone can give you here is regarding stock
Fedora kernels.  Since you don't use them, none of that information will be
very useful for you.

>                         But, if not, then please tell me about these
> error messages and why my mouse won't work with the FC6 2.6.20 kernels.

Only your vendor can give you an accurante answer to that question.  Nobody
around here knows what exactly is in the kernel you're running.  I'm sure
that a fairly good guess can be made, but this is just one of those things
where "fairly good" is not good enough.  You have to know exactly what's in
there.