Can no longer use my USB mouse with my laptop

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat Apr 28 04:30:13 UTC 2007

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> If I give you a car and you take it to a mechanic and have it modified then
>> it starts acting strange where will you take it to have it looked at or
>> fixed?  Will you take it back to me or to the mechanic?
>
> It depends on what broke.  If what's broke wasn't modified, then I feel
> justified in asking you!
>
>> Your vendor supplied you with a modified kernel.  You need to ask your
>> vendor any and all questions regarding their software.
>
> All I'm doing here is asking if this message is specific to the generic
> Fedora Kernel or not!  People sure are going out of their way to avoid
> saying yes or no.

Yes, since the message you are getting says "Device driver usbdev1.2_ep81
lacks bus and class support for being resumed."  And this seems to be in the
area that the kernel you are using addresses "Software Suspend".  Therefore,
nobody is very interested in expending the effort.

> Please tell me how my question differs from all of the very useful help
> people get using the nVidia proprietary video drivers) which I also use
> on my desktop machine).
>
>> And, please name your vendor.
>
> Not until I can find out if this problem exists in the generic Fedora
> Kernels!  I'm guessing that this broke between 2.6.19 and 2.6.20, but
> until I'm sure, is it too much to just ASK?

Why not ask your vendor then?  They supplied you with a non-Fedora kernel.

You seem very protective of your "vendor".  You won't name them...and you
won't ask them.

>> Or, after going to google, one finds the source of kernel you are using is
>> to be found at http://mhensler.de/swsusp/ and you can send him email at
>> matthias at mhensler.de for help.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of that, but I'll go through my vendor before I bother him.

Then, why not go to your vendor first?

In your other message you said "Prove to me that these problems don't exist
in the stock Fedora kernel.".  No, you need to prove it.  Just install
current stock Fedora kernel and see if the problem exists.

BTW, nobody is being "hostile".

You also said "And you think my vendor is going to respond to an email from
me at midnight on a Friday night?" as well as "I don't always use the mouse
with this laptop".  So, it doesn't sound like a critical issue and it can
surely wait till Monday.