logger for cron job

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 07:06:39 UTC 2007

Tim <ignored_mailbox <at> yahoo.com.au> writes:

[...]
> ln -s /usr/bin/GET /usr/local/bin/GET
> (Make a link to the real file, from where the script is looking for it.
> That saves on duplicate files.  Or worse, from having two different
> versions of a file, because one got automatically updated, and the other
> didn't.)

[root at localhost ~]#
[root at localhost ~]# ln -s /usr/bin/GET /usr/local/bin/GET
[root at localhost ~]# ll /usr/bin/GET
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 14673 Jul 12  2006 /usr/bin/GET
[root at localhost ~]# ll /usr/local/bin/GET
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Apr 28 08:01 /usr/local/bin/GET -> /usr/bin/GET
[root at localhost ~]#
[root at localhost ~]# date
Sat Apr 28 08:01:44 BST 2007
[root at localhost ~]#

Thanks, that's exactly why I was hesitant to, for example, create the directory
myself or to use "touch" to make it, or to find the file and copy it over.  Of
course, I just created it at one minute past the hour, so I'll have to wait to
see what happens in a bit :)

> > So why does the cronjob example on the webpage have a URL in it, then?
>
> I don't really know, I don't know how the author's mind works.  It'd be
> easier if they'd provided a comment saying put the URI to your feed
> where I've placed a dummy URI.  Or prefaced it with a comment saying
> auto-update URI.  But I didn't see a hint in any direction.  I got a 404
> error if I tried that link.  Try experiementing with the URI to a feed,
> there.
>
> NB:  I haven't downloaded and looked at it, I've just perused their
> website, as I noticed this thread.

Good to know that I'm not alone in finding the documentation on that lacking.
Yes, if I knew what was in the author's mind, that'd help :)

I might e-mail him, dunno if he'll respond.  Otherwise, it's a really great
piece of software, by the way.

-Thufir