caching-nameserver -

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Apr 28 18:15:07 UTC 2007

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 10:54:12 -0400,
  Bob Goodwin - W2BOD <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:

> Is there a file I can examine that will show me what URL's are presently
> cached in my caching-nameserver ?

Name servers cache DNS records not URLs.
I think bind caches records in memory, but there may be a way to get a
dump of what's there. Try doing a google search or reading the bind
documentation.

If you are really interested in your browser cache, those files are normally
saved in your home directory. However the URLs are usually hashed, so finding
out which web pages have been cached requires having a set of URLs you
are interested in or looking at the cached web pages.

There is also a browser history file that can have recently used URLs in it.
However, if that is what you are looking for, it is easiest to get that
information in the web browser rather than the file system.

We might be able to give you a better answer for your real problem if you
tell us what it is, rather than asking about how execute one approach you
have thought of to try to solve the problem. (You might really just be curious
about what's in your DNS cache, but it seems likely there is something else
you are trying to do, for which looking at the cache might help.)