nVidia drivers and TV-OUT

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Apr 29 03:13:10 UTC 2007

Andrew writes:

> As for nVidia:
> That is their choice - why force your opinion on them?

You've got it the other way around.  They are the ones who are trying to
foist everything what's wrong with non-free closed software on the free
software community.  They are the ones who are taking advantage of the free
software community, taking what they need and refuse to give anything back.

If you want to run closed, non-free binary software, there are plenty of
other operating systems you can choose, which will give you as many non-free
binary blobs as you wish.  But that's not what Linux is all about.

> They provide linux drivers for free (and have for years)

Only for one specific definition of "free".

> - better than many companies ...

I wouldn't say that.

> Do you provide the linux community with something as good as they
> do that is used by so many people for free? ...

I would give a ballpark estimate of around million people worldwide who are
using my free software.  I don't know how that stacks up to the Nvidia's fan
club.

> Reading your comment seems to be very critical of nVidia.
> Though, of course, I could have read your comment wrong ...

Nope, you've got it pretty much nailed.