nVidia drivers and TV-OUT

Andrew rhml2 at k1k2.com
Sun Apr 29 10:35:26 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 23:13 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Andrew writes:
>
> > As for nVidia:
> > That is their choice - why force your opinion on them?
>
> You've got it the other way around.  They are the ones who are trying to
> foist everything what's wrong with non-free closed software on the free
> software community.  They are the ones who are taking advantage of the free
> software community, taking what they need and refuse to give anything back.
>
> If you want to run closed, non-free binary software, there are plenty of
> other operating systems you can choose, which will give you as many non-free
> binary blobs as you wish.  But that's not what Linux is all about.
>
> > They provide linux drivers for free (and have for years)
>
> Only for one specific definition of "free".

What are nVidia taking?
They are giving everything necessary to use their cards on Linux
but not have to pay money for the drivers.
How are they asking you to make your software non-free?
Got a copy of that email from them?
... And yes I know what your answer is going to be ...
should I already rebut it?
You think that since their software cannot be included in a
'your definition free' distribution that it matters?
Why?

We all have definitions of free.
RedHat linux ... is that free?
No - you must pay for it and they claim copyright over it and
also consider it a violation of their agreement to have their
distribution without paying money for it.
That's not free either in the 'money' definition of the word.

> > - better than many companies ...
>
> I wouldn't say that.

Why?
There are many companies who do not ever offer linux drivers,
nor support developers to produce them.
So the word 'many' seems to fit QUITE well IMO.

> > Do you provide the linux community with something as good as they
> > do that is used by so many people for free? ...
>
> I would give a ballpark estimate of around million people worldwide who are
> using my free software.  I don't know how that stacks up to the Nvidia's fan
> club.

You think courier mail is that popular?
I have no idea :P

> > Reading your comment seems to be very critical of nVidia.
> > Though, of course, I could have read your comment wrong ...
>
> Nope, you've got it pretty much nailed.

Meh - feel free to reply once more - but I shall not continue this
since it has been debated before.
Most people do not have a middle ground - they expect everyone to do
what they want them to do ... coz they are 'right'
It happens everywhere else - why not here also :P