SMART errors - are they for real? or, BIOS weirdness?

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 10:58:48 UTC 2007

I'm getting SMART errors, but I'm not sure how much credence to give
them.  It seems to be the same two e-mails over and over.

I recently had to bring the pc to the shop because it wouldn't power on.
I thought that the power supply had failed, but the guy did something to
the BIOS.  I don't have the hardware details at the moment, but could the
error be more of a configuration thing rather than an actual hard drive
thing?

One of the e-mail's:

  PINE 4.64   MESSAGE
TEXT                                                    Folder: INBOX
Message 51 of 57 ALL