SMART errors - are they for real? or, BIOS weirdness?

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Sun Apr 29 11:33:36 UTC 2007

Around 11:58am on Sunday, April 29, 2007 (UK time), Thufir scrawled:

> I'm getting SMART errors, but I'm not sure how much credence to give
> them.  It seems to be the same two e-mails over and over.

<snip>

> Device: /dev/hdb, 2 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

I have been getting this message, along with a "offline uncorrectable
sectors" message from smart on one of my machines for a few years now
(and I'm not exaggerating).  Its never had any other problems, and I've
learned to live with it and stop worrying.

Of course it isn't a mission critical machine and it is backed up
regularly :-)

Steve

--

A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?

 12:30:41 up 5 days, 16:11,  1 user,  load average: 0.07, 0.17, 0.16