core 6 issues (shutdown problems)

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun Apr 29 16:04:58 UTC 2007

On Sunday 29 April 2007 15:35, JJ JJ wrote:
> > > ACPI: RSDP (v002 ACPIAM                                ) @
> > >

> > > 0x00000000000f6cf0
> > > ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:09.2[B] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
> > > ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:0a.0[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
> > > ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:09.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
> > > ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:07.5[B] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
> > > ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
> > > ACPI: Power Button (FF) [PWRF]
> > > ACPI: Power Button (CM) [PWRB]
> > >
> > > this problem itself is not a really big deal, the only issue is that I
> > > have
> > > to be present until the very end of the shutdown sequence, since I
> > > can't
> > > leave the rig unattended.
> > > Oh, well....
> >
> >I can't say I understand what all these messages mean. My messages were
> >more informative. But trying some of the suggested kernel optiosn seems
> >to be worth trying. lacpi or acpi=force seems like possibilities.
> >But in your case acpi seems to be doing something. On my machine it was
> >not.
>
> Hello Aaron,
> some good news, for a change. I booted up the second kernel, and now the
> system shuts down completely. These are my 2 kernels:
> 2.6.20-1.2944fc6xen
> 2.6.18-1.2798fc6xen
> the first one is the one that has issues.
> By the way, is the choice of 2 kernels a linux feature or is it  just my
> install?
> Thanks,
> JJ

Hi JJ. Glad you got to shutdown completely using the earlier kernel. You have
obviously done a yum update, and a newer kernel was installed. If you are
using yum for updates, and want to keep the kernel that is shutting down ok,
you need the edit something. Yum as default only keeps 2 kernels, so if you
run yum update again, and there is a yet newer kernel, it will install that,
and remove the oldest one, which in your case is the one you want to keep.

You can change this behaviour by either disabling the plugin, or changing the
number of kernels to save.

Open the CLI, and su to root, open a text editor, go
to /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf.

My FC6 one looks like this.

[main]
enabled=0
# this sets the number of package versions which are kept
tokeep=2

I just disable the plugin by just changing "enabled=1 to enabled=0", but you
can just change the "tokeep=2" to whatever number you like. 5 might be a good
number. It's possible that the next kernel update from the one that's not
shutting down completely will again shutdown completely, but you can't be
sure, so you want to keep the 2.6.18 one which is doing what you want.

After saving the changes, keep the text editor open, and go
to /boot/grub/grub.conf .  Afew lines down you'll see this.

#boot=/dev/hda
default=3
timeout=30
splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.10-2.3.legacy_FC2)

I say this, but this is from FC2. The "default" line sets the kernel you want
to boot. Grub starts at "0", so you can change this to "1", then at the
moment it will boot the 2.6.18 kernel that works ok. The "timeout" line I
have already changed. The default is 5 secs, and it's worth changing this to
30, as it gives you a bit more time to make decisions as to which kernel you
want to boot. The next line "splashimage" IIRC is "hiddenimage" on FC5, and
FC6. if you are not seeing the grub menu when you bootup, you can put a "#"
at the start of this line (no double quotes), which will comment out the
line.

Just a few suggestions, so you don't lose your working kernel, along with the
grub stuff.

Nigel.

Btw. I use apt, and synaptic as update managers, so am not involved in this
ptential kernel problem with yum.