Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

stan stanl at cox.net
Sun Apr 29 18:42:43 UTC 2007

Why?

Momentum, learning curve.  Most people don't care about being able to
look inside their system.  When I work on Windows, I feel like I'm in a
closet or a strait jacket.  Part of that is unfamiliarity.

And you know what?  That's just fine.  I don't want to see Linux become
more than about 10-15% of the desktop market.  If it does, it will
become a target.  Right now, most of the exploits occur on windows so
everyone else has a warning.  And the beta testers for new technology
pay to be beta testers with Windows!  When the kinks are ironed out, I
see it on Linux and the price is much better.

Also, at 10 to 15%, hardware suppliers are going to be thinking 1 in 7
or 10 customers.  Worth providing either hardware specs or a driver.

And this also keeps the community nicer.  If you were on usenet when
AOL and webTV hit, you know what happened to the quality.  Don't want
to see that happen to Linux.

And windows serves a different market.  The users of windows want ease
of use and whiz bang.  Security is a second or more distant
consideration for Window's users.  That's why most of their computers
are zombies controlled from Romania or Russia.  Great!  When Microsoft
tries to tighten security, they are inundated by users complaining
about the inconvenience.  They know their market and satisfy it: ease
of use, whiz bang, security second.