caching-nameserver -

Fennix cn.stefan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 19:18:00 UTC 2007

On 4/30/07, Bob Goodwin - W2BOD <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:

> Fennix wrote:
> >
> > Tim, I am also curious about this question.  Previously I had tried
> > enabling logging via the named.caching-nameserver.conf file and had
> > creeated empty files for the logs but these files have never been
> > updated by named.  From your message I have tried running the mdc
> > command but it is not found.  Tried to 'locate mdc' and no useful
> > result.  I do have the caching-name-server installed...
> > named     2364     1  0 Apr27 ?        00:00:09 /usr/sbin/named -u
> > named -c /etc/named.caching-nameserver.conf
> > which should be the same basic setup as Bob Goodwin's.  Now I am
> > trying to see where the mdc command should come from using "yum
> > whatprovides mdc".
> >
> > My logging (which is not working as yet) configuration from
> > named.caching-nameserver.conf is as follows:
> >
> > # specify log files for different categories
> > #
> > logging {
> >         channel ch_default {
> >                 file "/var/named/log_default";
> >                 severity info;
> >                 print-category yes;
> >                 print-severity yes;
> >                 print-time yes;
> >         };
> >         channel ch_security {
> >                 file "/var/named/log_security";
> >                 severity info;
> >                 print-severity yes;
> >                 print-time yes;
> >         };
> >         channel ch_queries {
> >                 file "/var/named/log_queries";
> >                 severity info;
> >                 print-time yes;
> >         };
> >         category default { ch_default; };
> >         category security { ch_security; };
> >         category lame-servers { null; };
> >         category xfer-in { null; };
> >         category queries { ch_queries; };
> > };
> >

> Where did these lines come from?  I don't see the in my conf file,
> thought they might be there commented out but no.
> >
> > UPDATE: I have finaly figured out the logging issue as being an
> > ownership problem with the log files.  Now I have changed them to
> > named user and group.  Bob,  using logging  may be a partial answer
> > for for you about what queries are hitting your nameserver.  This will
> > not tell you what information is still current in your cache though.
> > I do hope that this may be of some help to you.  (Still am waiting for
> > the results of my yum query....)
> >

> And the following did not make it to this list:
>
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 14:44:33 -0400,
>   Bob Goodwin - W2BOD <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
>

> > > After a lot of groping around I finally realized that while they use
> the
> > > dns provided by Wildblue our isp I use some different servers that I
> > > found, open dns or some such, and apparently they have collected the
> > > data before the isp's server?
> >

> Each ISP will have its own caching servers. You don't even need to use
> [...]

Bob,

Those lines I had added (found via google) to to enable logging for tracking
what queries were hitting my DNS server along with the 3 log files in
/etc/named/ to capture the data.  The rest of my configuration I have left
as the stock install.  My only other change was to resolv.conf to insert the
server directive to point to 127.0.0.1.

I also really had wanted to add Tim's configuration for blocking.conf but I
seem to have missed some important detail in his instructions to do this
successfully.