caching-nameserver -

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Apr 29 19:50:28 UTC 2007

Fennix wrote:

> Bob,
>
> Those lines I had added (found via google) to to enable logging for
> tracking what queries were hitting my DNS server along with the 3 log
> files in /etc/named/ to capture the data.  The rest of my
> configuration I have left as the stock install.  My only other change
> was to resolv.conf to insert the server directive to point to
> 127.0.0.1 <http://127.0.0.1>.
>
> I also really had wanted to add Tim's configuration for blocking.conf
> but I seem to have missed some important detail in his instructions to
> do this successfully.
Ok, I figured those lines came from somewhere else.  I may try just
using what you have there and see if I can obtain some usable log
files.  As I said my questions really stemmed from an interest in
understanding better what is happening.

I simply followed what Tim suggested in this mailing list and the result
was excellent.  I also use the "adblock" extension for Firefox and
obtained addresses from it that were causing me grief and added those to
the blocking.conf file, in fact I just added another a few days ago and
the result is immediately apparent after doing "service named restart"
I suspect it would be easy to miss that step, not sure if it was
suggested or if it just occurred to me to try that?

Bob Goodwin